Become a member of Alpha Phi Sigma!
How to apply for membership
All students applying for full membership must follow the directions below:
1. Submit the APS application (found here).
2. Submit your ASU unofficial transcripts.
3. Submit 150.00 membership dues. A total of $160.00 ($150.00 membership + $10 S&H) is required for all non-local / out-of-state students.
- Applications for the Spring 2022 semester will be accepted until Monday, January 3rd.
- Students who miss the Spring 2021 deadline will have to wait until the Fall 2021 application period to apply for membership. We do not accept applications for the Summer term.
- Review all directions and requirements on the member application.
- Complete and submit the Alpha Phi Sigma member application (found here) and unofficial transcripts via email to Claudine.DeCarolis@asu.edu
- Submit $150.00 member dues. A total of $160.00 ($150.00 membership + $10 S&H) is required for all non-local / out-of-state students.
Undergraduate Students: Must have completed a minimum of 36 college credits that have been completed at ASU or transferred and accepted by ASU, including a minimum of 12 credits in criminal justice or justice studies. All credits must have been obtained with a 3.4 GPA or higher in order to be considered. Students must have a minimum 3.4 cumulative GPA and a minimum 3.4 criminal justice GPA. Students must apply prior to their graduating semester. Students must be a part of Alpha Phi Sigma for at least two semesters to join and receive regalia for commencement.
Graduate Students: Must have a minimum of a 3.4 GPA or higher and have completed 12 or more graduate level credits in criminal justice. Students must apply prior to their graduating semester. Students must be a part of Alpha Phi Sigma for at least two semesters to join and receive regalia for commencement.
Doctoral Students: Must have a minimum of 3.4 GPA and higher and have completed 12 or more upper-level credits in criminal justice. Students must apply prior to their graduating semester. Students must be a part of Alpha Phi Sigma for at least two semesters to join and receive regalia for commencement.
Law Students: Must have a 2.5 GPA or higher. Students must apply prior to their graduating semester. Students must be a part of Alpha Phi Sigma for at least two semesters to join and receive regalia for commencement.
Important information... please read prior to submitting the application
All applicants must complete the APS application for membership along with the background questionnaire online. Applicants must also submit the personal statement, affirmation of expectations, and their ASU unofficial transcripts. All applicants must submit a $150.00 / $160.00 membership fee, along with their application materials. Only personal/cashier checks and money orders will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Note: The APS application fee/dues is the only fee. Payment is to be submitted after completion of the application. Partial payment will be returned if your application is denied (the amount will be determined by the organization).
THIS IS THE ONLY ADDRESS THE APPLICATION FEE NEEDS TO BE MAILED OR BROUGHT TO):
Criminology & Criminal Justice Department
Attn: Alpha Phi Sigma
411 N. Central Ave., Ste. 600
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Why should local and online students join Alpha Phi Sigma?
Why should local and online students join Alpha Phi Sigma's local chapter?
- Alpha Phi Sigma provides national recognition for academic excellence in criminal justice, an honor in which can be noted on employment applications, vitae, and resumes.
- Alpha Phi Sigma provides awards, grants, and scholarships to its student members, faculty advisors, and chapters annually. These apply to both local and online students.
- Members receive a membership certificate, pin, and card and through chapter mailings, copies of The Docket, the official Honor Society’s publication.
- Alpha Phi Sigma provides a local and national forum for obtaining information and developing perspectives about the field of criminal justice, learning about educational career opportunities, and forming meaningful professional networks.
- Alpha Phi Sigma chapter activities provide students with valuable opportunities to develop one-on-one relationships with professors who can stimulate their interest in criminal justice, involve them in research projects, and write meaningful letters of recommendation for them.
- Membership in Alpha Phi Sigma meets one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations in the United States government.
- Each local chapter contains four elected officer positions (President, Vice-president, Secretary and Treasurer). The National Officers are elected annually at the National Convention. The National convention can be a valuable experience in its own right. There you will get to meet with fellow APS members from across the nation. Since APS holds its National Conference in conjunction with the Academy of Criminal Justice Science Meeting, there is also the opportunity to meet professionals in the field. Valuable information can be gained from many lectures given, as well as possible graduate programs of interest. There is also a chance to make valuable contacts, which may prove to be beneficial in the future.
- Membership is for life
- Regalia is another great way to display your accomplishments at graduation ceremonies. Please check the qualifications and deadlines pertaining to this benefit and we look forward to experiencing the organization with potential and current members.